Eating Around the World – Bangladesh
This was a bit of a hurried meal due to engineer five arriving to fix the dishwasher. But hey, it’s finally fixed and the meal was very tasty. For main course we had chingri macher malaikari. The name malaikari, may actually mean malaicurry, suggesting it’s actually a recipe from Malay, but the dish is still eaten all over the bengali region, particularly over festive occasions, birthdays etc.
The dish should be made with large shell on prawns, but with the time and money I substituted frozen headless tiger prawns, in fact for the less faff I’d just buy large shelled prawns. The prawns are first marinated in a little salt and turmeric, then cooked up with a number of delicious spice and garlic. It is thin simmered in coconut milk to make a delicious rich gravy or curry to go with plain basmati rice.
- 250g large prawns such as tiger prawns
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamon pods
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1tbsp of ginger and garlic paste
- 1/2 can coconut milk
After marinating the prawns for at least two hours in the turmeric and salt, fry them in a little oil until they have just turned pink, remove from the pan and set aside. Add a little more oil to the same pan and fry the cinnamon, cardamon and cloves for a few minutes. Add the chopped onion and fry until the onion has softened, I picked the cinnamon and bits out at this point. Stir in the ginger and garlic paste and fry again for a few minutes. Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil and allow to simmer until the sauce slightly thickens, chuck the prawns back in a cook for another 3mins. Serve with basmati rice. Neither of the boys really liked the curry, strange as we thought it tasted fantastic! They both loved the prawns and the naan bread I made.
We had Gulab Juman for dessert, based in this recipe. I used much less quantities. They were actually quite nice despite them dripping with oil and saturated with sugar syrup!
We did a little bit of a craft, a house on stilts like you often see along the floodplains of Bangladesh. It’s a work in progress.
Here’s the results from last weeks craft, the batik T-shirts. After drawing a pattern with glue and leaving it to dry we painted patches with acrylic paints. After drying for another 2 days, I soaked the t-shirts in the sink, scrubbed off most of the excess paint and glue, then put them through the wash and much to my surprise it actually worked!
Next week New Zealand!